You should get an International Driver’s License from the AAA Automobile Association in your area. Your American Driver’s License will suffice in Europe. As a tourist or temporary resident, you can drive with your American license plates in a foreign country until your registration for that year expires. However you US insurance company may not insure the car overseas. You should check with them prior to exporting the car. In this case you must get it insured with a foreign company for your stay overseas.